Monday, July 27, 2009

Hope in the Who

so last night i went to Buckhead church and the sermon was exactly what i needed to hear. they are going through a series right now called "the waiting room" and it was just perfect for me right now. im at a point in my life where im not married, i dont have a job, and i basically dont have a life....ha. its a lot of waiting right now for things to start happening and ive made the mistake of putting my hope in those things. having the mindset that once i get a job i can breath for a little bit, or once i get married everything will work out. there are 2 dangers that he touched on last night concerning our hopes being in the whats and the whens of our desires and they were this. one danger is, when what your waiting on becomes what your hoping in, you may not actually get it, resulting in discouragement and causing you to maybe always wonder if it will ever happen. and the other danger is that you might get what you want. for the most part we get what we are waiting for, but it may not be what we thought it would be. he used an example of an autobiography that John Mackenroe wrote about being the number 1 tennis payer in the world. 5 years in a row he kept getting beat out by another player and finally he won and even went further than that and won many other things. then one day he was standing in the airport and it hit him. he was the NUMBER 1 tennis player in the world and he still felt empty inside. things in this world are going to continue to let you down. i havent found one yet that hasent failed me at some point. why should my dream job or my future husband be any different?? thats not to say that those things arent going to be tremendous blessings but they are going to let me down if i put my hope in them. our hope has to be in something that will never let us down. i mean what is hope!

definitions:
-the feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best
-to believe, desire, or trust
-To look forward to with confidence or expectation
-A wish or desire accompanied by confident expectation of its fulfillment

i have been through a lot of different circumstances where i have "gotten my hopes up" about something and then they were let down. that is not living out the full definition of what hope is supposed to be. and to think i actually have the privilege to have hope! i have Christ and because of that i should always have hope because he is in control and everything results in good with Him! why would i ever put my hope in anything else!!! so, even though its difficult to not have the things i desire, i put my hope in Him, knowing that he does want to fulfill my desires. i will look to Him and take each day, one step at a time, closer to Him and all i can expect is satisfaction in whatever He gives me, because above all else i have Him. my circumstances certainly havent changed but my persective has.

1 comment: